Play it Safe
For most individuals, gambling is a form of entertainment – from fantasy sports, playing an occasional game of poker with roommates, or a night out at the casino with friends. However, it is important to be aware that, for some people, gambling can become an addiction. Stay informed so you can play it safe.
Rooting for your team is great. Just don’t let it break the bank. Here are some ground rules for sports betting.
- Pride and loyalty for your team heighten your willingness to risk more
- Online sports betting feels like a game and makes it easy to lose control
- The winning odds in sports betting are not better than in traditional gambling
- Just like casino gambling, sports betting can become compulsive
Gambling can be fun and entertaining, however, it is important to know your limit.
Tips and tricks to play it safe:
- Never bet more than you can afford
- Set a limit on what you will spend on a night of gambling
- Leave your credit card at home
- Avoid gambling and alcohol
- Gamble for fun, not as a means to make money
- Know your odds
Saving money can be difficult, but it doesn’t have to be! Set a goal and set something aside for savings.
Create a plan and a budget.
- Look at where you make your money and where you spend it.
- Budgeting should be done monthly to keep track of your expenses.
- Always set money aside for your savings.
- Limit your spending to the amount set out in the budget: money for entertainment, such as gambling, concerts, movies, etc.
- Stick to your budget!
- Free, confidential budget resources are available here.
When it comes to gambling, it all comes down to chance. Do yourself a favor and know the odds.
You might think you’re the best poker player around or that you’re a fantasy sports guru, but gambling outcomes are ultimately out of your control.